If the shortened days have you yearning to be outdoors in the warm sunshine, take heart in knowing that we’re less than five months from landscaping, gardening and yard work.
You can use the dark days of winter to get a jumpstart on 2013 and develop a plan for your landscape. Here’s a list of ideas.
Top Trends to Make Reality
The American Institute of Architects (AIA) Home Design Trends Survey shares the following list of outdoor living and landscaping trends. You’re sure to find one that would improve the convenience of and/or beautify your outdoor space:
- Installing low-irrigation landscaping
- Creating an outdoor living space
- Creating a blended indoor and outdoor living space
- Installing a rainwater catchment
- Installing exterior lighting for aesthetics or security
Winter Web Surfing
Use those chilly winter evenings to search the Internet for landscape ideas and inspiration. There’s no need to get lost in searching for broad topics, though – the following tools help you concentrate your search and also save your ideas.
- houzz.com is a go-to website if you’re remodeling or improving your home or landscape. You can search the site by a specific topic (“ patio paving”) and even save your ideas by creating your own ideabook.
- Pinterest is the site for you if you like to search the Web for ideas but need a place to consolidate your “finds.” Pinterest helps organize your ideas for later reference, share them with others, and browse pinboards of friends and companies.
A few Pinterest boards we like:
- Garden Design magazine offers a look at exotic plants, beautifully designed public spaces and high-end residential landscapes. But don’t let its highbrow content discourage you. Its “beautiful backyards” board features photos of everyday backyards submitted by readers.
- Better Homes and Gardens magazine is an information-packed site that provides practical gardening tips, landscaping ideas and inspiration for entertaining, decorating and cooking.
- Search keywords such as landscaping, pavers or retaining walls on Pinterest to find hundreds of inspiring photos.
Home and Garden Shows
Attend a local home, garden or patio show. You’ll find many distributors and dealers displaying booths filled with new products and creative landscaping ideas. A bonus is taking in the scents of the live, fresh flowers and plants you’ll find on display.
Minneapolis Home and Garden Show: February 27 – March 3, 2013, Minneapolis Convention Center, Minneapolis, MN
Minnesota Home and Patio Show: February 14 – February 17, 2013, St. Paul River Centre, St. Paul, MN
Rochester Builders Home Show: February 8-10, 2013, Mayo Civic Center, Rochester, MN
Duluth Arrowhead Home & Builders Show: April 3 – 7, 2013, Duluth Entertainment Convention Center, Duluth, MN
Red River Valley Home & Garden Show: February 22 – 24, 2013, Fargodome, Fargo, ND
For more information and landscaping inspiration, and to view our product catalog, visit our website at www.anchorblock.com.