Avid gardeners and outdoor enthusiasts use the long winter months to plan gardens and landscape improvements. If you’re ready to think spring, check out these top landscape trends and begin a little landscape planning of your own.
The sleek lines and simple shapes of mid-century modern style continue to influence fashion, home décor and the outdoor landscape.
- Give your patio or walkway an updated look by using long, rectangular concrete pavers (often called planks) like the RINN™ Padio™ 14 paving system.
- Set plank pavers — or circle- or square-shaped patio stones — a few inches apart in a bed of grass, mulch or aggregate to showcase their silhouette.
- Make traditional patio bricks, like the Holland Permeable paving system, everything but by laying them in a bold running bond (shown below). Added bonus: You can use this system as a component in storm water management to minimize runoff.
Bright and Contrasting Colors
According to “Green Scene,” a report from the Engledow Group, color is one of the most important components of a landscape plan.
- Choose bright pillows, cheery planters or painted patio furniture to give your outdoor living area a fresh appearance from season to season.
- For hardscapes, think in black and white! Many products, such as the Holland Plus™ paving system or Highland Stone® edger, are available in solid colors and variations of blacks, grays, whites or tans, and can add dramatic contrast to any design.
Mother Nature rules when it comes to retaining wall design, with consumers and designers clamoring for functional, low-maintenance products inspired by the look of real stone.
- Add charm to a courtyard or garden with the Natural Impressions® Flagstone wall system, a do-it-yourself retaining wall product that offers a stacked flagstone appearance.
- Build a retaining wall, seating wall or planter with the Brisa® Random wall system to get the look of split limestone.
Products that allow easy installation of permanent fire features are hot, hot, hot!
- Build your own fire pit using the Fresco™ square or circle fire pit kit. These easy-to-assemble kits include a metal insert and are sure to enhance any outdoor hangout. Purchase a cooking grate attachment and invite the neighbors for a cookout!